John Jay College is a premiere educational institution where criminal justice is taught in all its modern complexities and public service is valued as the noble endeavor that it is. The In-service Program at John Jay College is designed to provide educational opportunities to active and retired Uniform Members of the Service (UMOS) of the:
City of New York Department of Corrections (DOC)
New York City Fire Department (FDNY)
New York City Police Department (NYPD)*
The In-service Program is available for all active and retired UMOS DOC officers and FDNY firefighters, and retired UMOS NYPD police officers interested in earning a bachelor’s degree.
NOTE: All civilian members and other public service agency personnel (i.e. FDNY Paramedic, FDNY EMT, are encouraged to submit the general application, by visiting www.cuny.edu/prepare.
- Guaranteed acceptance to a bachelor's degree program
- Exempt from meeting the general admission criteria
- Receive college credits for the following basic academy training:
- Up to 18 for DOC
- Up to 10 for FDNY
- Up to 29 for NYPD
NOTE: Additional credits may be awarded for courses taken beyond basic training. Training credits may not exceed 45 credits.
- Courses are offered during the day, evening, weekend and online
- Apply up to 90 credits from previously attended colleges and academy training towards any bachelor's degree at John Jay College (click here to learn more about the programs offered)
- Individualized academic advisement
- Students with an associate's degree may be eligible to enroll in the Online Security Management bachelor's degree program
All applications and supporting documents must be submitted by Monday, July 10, 2017.
START THE FALL 2017 APPLICATION
Interested in learning more about the program? You may click on any one of the options below to attend an Information Session or schedule a one-on-one appointment: